HANDLING OF FREIGHT CLAIMS
(1) CLAIMS DEPARTMENT MUST BE NOTIFIED UPON RECEIPT OF GOODS OF ANY DAMAGE. All concealed damages must be reported within (15) days upon receipt. Any and all claims are automatically void after the (15) day time limit. “Concealed damage” will no longer apply on broken glass, mirrors, or marble. These items must be inspected and damage noted at time of delivery.
(2) You will be asked for the following information:
- Shipper name
- Shipper acknowledge number
- PO number
- Item and item number
- Extent of damage
- Customer repairman/Cooke repairman
- Noted damages on freight bills such as crushed or torn cartons, holes and damaged wrapping, (upholstery) is not concealed. Inspection of these cartons should be made at time of delivery and damage to contents needs to be noted on receiving bill.
- Is merchandise repairable? If so, A REPAIR ESTIMATE WILL NEED TO BE REPORTED/FAXED TO OUR CLAIMS DEPARTMENT FOR APPROVAL BEFORE ANY REPAIRS ARE MADE, IF NOT REPORTED PRIOR TO REPAIRS-CLAIMS WILL BE VOID. Once repaired you will need to send a copy of the shipper bill of lading and a copy of the repair bill so that we can issue you a check for the repair amount. (Repair bill must state exact and detailed description of work done and amount of time it took to have the job completed.)
- If parts are needed in order to have damaged piece repaired properly, inform our claims department of the specific parts you need and we will contact the manufacturer on parts that are needed and order under Cooke’s account.
- If completely damaged, DO NOT order replacements on your own. YOU MUST have a report from an outside repairman stating what damages have occurred to the piece and repairs needing to be made, and their conclusion as to why merchandise is beyond repair. The original packing materials/cartons must remain with the damaged item until inspection is complete. This will allow the inspector to determine if freight damage was the cause or if acceptable level of packing has been met for the damaged article of furniture.
- When an item is marked “total loss” by your repairman, on occasion (depending on the circumstances) we will send in our own local repairman for mutual inspection and possible repairs. Please keep in mind that it is no intention of ours for you to sell “repaired” merchandise as “new”, but the repair people that we use are highly qualified and skilled repair technicians, which guarantee their work. If upon inspection our repairman concludes that they can repair an item back to showroom/factory condition then at that time the merchandise will be repaired. We are under no obligation to honor replacements when an item can be repaired back to showroom/factory condition.
- Merchandise must remain at delivery address until all claims have been settled. DO NOT LET YOUR CUSTOMERS TEMPORARILY USE THE MERCHANDISE WHILE WAITING ON REPLACEMENT PARTS OR FULL REPLACEMENTS. This will void your claim for damages.
- Claim MUST be reported to Cooke Trucking BEFORE delivering to your customer. Once merchandise leaves your property or delivery site, Cooke Trucking is no longer responsible for ANY DAMAGES AND IS VOID whether claim has or has not been reported. So, merchandise needs to be inspected upon delivery or within the (15) day time limit. If damages have occurred to a particular piece, whether it be obvious or concealed, that piece needs to remain at your location until the damaged merchandise has been reported directly to Cooke’s claim department and you have been given specific instructions on what steps will be taken from there.
A form has been designed for you in order for our claims department to receive specific and exact information on the claim you need to report and the form also enables our claims department to properly handle the claim which has been reported.
Just simply contact our office immediately and supply us with your fax number and request a claim form and one will be faxed to you. Our fax number is listed on the form. Once you have completed and signed the form, please fax it back to our office and someone from the claims department will be in touch with you.
IT IS OUR GOAL AT COOKE TRUCKING COMPANY TO GIVE OUR CUSTOMER THE BEST AND MOST RELIABLE SERVICE POSSIBLE. IN ORDER TO REACH THAT GOAL WE NEED THE COOPERATION FROM YOU, OUR CUSTOMER, TO HELP BY FOLLOWING OUR CLAIMS POLICIES AND GUIDELINES.